Digestive health issues are on the increase, with antacid medication being the 3rd most popular medical prescription and 1 in 2 people showing some signs of gastrointestinal dysfunction – (which may be as simple as not fully emptying their bowels every day, or as severe as colon cancer )– it is essential that you look after “your insides” for reasons that go beyond the gut!
Research shows that the importance of the digestive system is more complicated than once thought. In addition to its digestive function, the gut is involved in the immune response (the “gut-immune” response with about 70% of our immune system found in the digestive tract) and in the function of the brain (the “gut-brain” response) with around 90% of our neurotransmitters especially serotonin our “happy hormone” being produced in the gut – which is why gut health is integral to our overall health.
Being labeled under the umbrella term of “Irritable Bowel Syndrome” is just saying you have an irritable bowel that has an an array of symptoms. There is always a cause for that “irritability”!
Aiming to identify the underlying cause to see why your gut is irritable, I can use an array of specific functional tests to find out why your symptoms are occurring and what we can do to resolve them.
In addition to a thorough consultation, I may even order one of several comprehensive gastrointestinal health function tests – depending on your individual concerns.
- GI MAP test- GI Map is the best test for bacterial and parasitic overgrowth in the large intestine. It also looks at inflammatioon markers, and an array of digestive markesr reflecting state of gut health
- Bioscreen Faecal Microbial Analysis – to check for undergrowth of essential microbes and overgrowth of pathogenic microbe
- SIBO Breath Test – to assess for small intestinal bacterial overgrowth
- PCR Stool Multiplex – to test for the presence of parasites or other pathogenic bacteri
- Smart GUT – to assess the balance of your microbiome – the “good” bacteria in your gut
- Gastroinestinal Function Stool Testing (GiFX) – to assess beneficial bacteria, inflammatory markers, pathogens, immune markers in the gu
- Calprotectin – to assess inflammation in the gut
- Coeliac Gene Test – to identify possible coeliac disease and gluten sensitivity
- Intestinal Permeability – to assess leaky gut
- Helicobactor pylori – to assess for H.pylori commonly associated with reflux, indigestion, ulcers
- MetaBiome MICROBIOME SAMPLING
Some of these tests are especially important as “dysbiosis” (imbalance of “good” and “bad” gut bacteria), parasitic, bacterial and fungal infections of the gut are increasingly common causes of gut problems – but these are often missed on simple pathology stool tests.
After a thorough assessment and appropriate testing has taken place, we will discuss the results and a comprehensive and individualised treatment plan to address the underlying causes of your gut issues, which may include diet, prescription-strength herbal and nutritional medicines, acupuncture or other specific treatments – depending on your specific needs.
If severe gut infections are diagnosed, you may be refered back to your own doctor for specialised pharmaceutical treatment, together with natural treatment, to enhance treatment outcomes.
Seeing Lisa will help you improve your overall digestion; wether it is to treat symptoms such as reflux, gas, bloating, diarrhoea & constipation (IBS), or more complex conditions such as SIBO (small intestinal bacterial over growth) , parasitic infections, coeliacs & non coeliac gluten intolerances, specific anaemia’s, leaky gut, and Candida .
A healthy digestive system enables everything to function correctly and enable you to have the energy & vitality you desire.
Despite eating a seemingly healthy diet, everything we eat, must be digested properly. Regular & or even occasional problems in digestion can deplete these important nutrients being absorbed, causing malnutrition & potential development of other health concerns.
Digestive and liver disorders can have significant effects on your total health. Many of us can have digestive problems that appear to have no apparent cause. Numerous trips to the doctors leave you feeling confused & frustrated.
Let Lisa fully assess your digestive health picture & give you the answers to all of your concerns.
To get individually assessed and be able to identify the true cause behind your concerns, and get the soultions to fix the problem, call to make your appointment now. Ph 0411 713 323.